Monday, September 21, 2009

Problems with Words?

I loved the word problem assignment! I never realized how hard it is to write original word problems, especially since there are actual categories. I think that the the categories help to make appropriate word problems for students based on their abilities. I think differentiation is the key to successful instruction...if the students are taught in a manner that challenges them without frustration as well as keeping them from getting bored, they will be more receptive and less intimidated by their education. I think that word problems are tough for students because they involve more than one thought process. When you combine reading and math, there is more of a chance for confusion. Many students are comfortable with math or reading but combining the two can be a daunting task for students that struggle with either subject. By now having guidelines to writing word problems, I feel like I can give my students personalized instruction to ensure that that they are successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment